BIOSTATISTICS AND RESEARCH DESIGN
Aspire to the highest standards of excellence in research, education and service
Support and enhance College of Dentistry’s core values, goals and strategies through collaborative research and innovations in quantitative dental sciences
The purpose of The University of Iowa College of Dentistry Division of Biostatistics (DOB) is to provide state-of-the-art and cost-effective biostatistics support for all the research projects conducted at the College through a spectrum of collaborations. The format of these collaborations ranges from long term grant and protocol support, project oriented assistance, to ongoing consultations and data analyses. These collaborations include:
- To conduct preliminary data analysis and assist in research hypothesis formulating.
- To review background rationale and to provide statistical design and analysis plans required to address the specific aims of clinical protocols, translational and basic science research projects.
- To provide proper analysis and interpretations of data collected from bioassays, drug screening, animal models, clinical investigations, and population-based studies.
- To assist in manuscript preparation and to review scientific submissions.
- To critically review and advise on clinical protocols to be conducted at College of Dentistry.
- To provide database development and computer programming services and to assure data quality control.
- To provide general statistical consultations to all College of Dentistry investigators.
- To provide special education and training opportunities (lectures and lab meeting discussions) in biostatistics to students, residents, fellows and junior faculty investigators.
- To conduct statistical methodological research that is directly applicable in dental research.
Division of Biostatistics provide the necessary infrastructure to facilitate collaboration between investigators and biostatisticians from the planning stage of a project through its execution, analysis, interpretation of results, and scientific submissions.
The main goal of DOB is to ensure appropriate biostatistics support for biomedical research at the College of Dentistry through a recognized and accessible central resource. DOB will support all clinical and population-based research as well as in vitro and animal research. However the highest priority will be given to the peer-reviewed funded research, clinical protocol development, and statistical review service to IRB and DSMC. The order of priority among research projects is as follows:
(1) Peer-reviewed funded research projects and clinical trials (funding should include Biostatistics support);
(2) Non-peer-reviewed funded research projects and clinical trials (funding should include Biostatistics support);
(3) Research proposals to be submitted for external funding (there should be a budget for Biostatistics support);
(4) Investigator initiated clinical trials without external funding;
(5) Other research projects without external funding.
Division of Biostatistics and Research Design is directed by Dr. Xian Jin Xie.