The University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics logoLink to University of Iowa home pageLink to University of Iowa home pageLink to College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics home page

college of dentistry mission graphic

Oral Science - MS & Operative Dentistry Certificate Expenses

3 Year Curriculum

First Year

Tuition and Mandatory Fees Summer Fall Spring
Tuition $934.00 $1868.00 $1868.00
Operative Dentistry Certificate Fee 0 5749.00 5749.00
Technology Fee 73.50 110.25 110.25
Student Activities Fee 18.00 27.00 27.00
Student Services Fee 19.25 29.00 29.00
Student Union Fee 31.00 45.00 45.00
Building Fee 30.75 46.25 46.25
Recreation Fee 69.25 101.00 101.00
Arts & Cultural Events Fee 6.25 9.50 9.50
Professional Enhancement 20.00 30.00 30.00
Student Health Service Fee 0.00 0.00 0.00
International Student Fee 35.00 70.00 70.00
Clinical and Research Supplies      
SSIMs* Fee 0.00 1537.50 1537.50
Books 200.00 300.00 300.00
Loupes 2000.00 0.00 0.00
Personal Computer 1000.00 0.00 0.00
Hanau articulator & face bow 500.00 0.00 0.00
Intraoral camera  0.00 1700.00 0.00
Travel to professional meetings 0.00 0.00 1000.00
Research, thesis & miscellaneous fees 0.00 0.00 500.00
Health Insurance - basic coverage for student only waived with proof of coverage.  $135/mo., July 1 to June 30 280.00 560.00 840.00
Subtotal $5218.50 $12182.50 $12262.50
Additional Expenses Per Year      
Room & Board 2173.00 4104.50 6277.50
Personal Expense 786.60 1486.00 2272.40
Transportation 311.50 588.50 900.00
Total Expenses $8489.60 $18361.50 $21712.40

 

Second Year**

 

Tuition and Mandatory Fees Summer Fall Spring
Tuition $934.00 $1868.00 $1868.00
Operative Dentistry Certificate Fee 0 5749.00 5749.00
Technology Fee 73.50 110.25 110.25
Student Activities Fee 18.00 27.00 27.00
Student Services Fee 19.25 29.00 29.00
Student Union Fee 31.00 45.00 45.00
Building Fee 30.75 46.25 46.25
Recreation Fee 69.25 101.00 101.00
Arts & Cultural Events Fee 6.25 9.50 9.50
Professional Enhancement 20.00 30.00 30.00
Student Health Service Fee 0.00 0.00 0.00
International Student Fee 35.00 70.00 70.00
Clinical and Research Supplies      
SSIMs* Fee 0.00 1537.50 1537.50
Books 200.00 300.00 300.00
Loupes 0.00 0.00 0.00
Personal Computer 0.00 0.00 0.00
Hanau articulator & face bow 0.00 0.00 0.00
Intraoral camera  0.00 0.00 0.00
Travel to professional meetings 0.00 0.00 1000.00
Research, thesis & miscellaneous fees 0.00 0.00 500.00
Health Insurance - basic coverage for student only waived with proof of coverage.  $135/mo., July 1 to June 30 280.00 560.00 840.00
Subtotal $1718.50 $10482.50 $12262.50
Additional Expenses Per Year      
Room & Board 2173.00 4104.50 6277.50
Personal Expense 786.60 1486.00 2272.40
Transportation 311.50 588.50 900.00
Total Expenses $4989.60 $16661.50 $21712.40

 

Third Year**

 

Tuition and Mandatory Fees Summer Fall Spring
Tuition $934.00 $1868.00 $1868.00
Operative Dentistry Certificate Fee 0 5749.00 5749.00
Technology Fee 73.50 110.25 110.25
Student Activities Fee 18.00 27.00 27.00
Student Services Fee 19.25 29.00 29.00
Student Union Fee 31.00 45.00 45.00
Building Fee 30.75 46.25 46.25
Recreation Fee 69.25 101.00 101.00
Arts & Cultural Events Fee 6.25 9.50 9.50
Professional Enhancement 20.00 30.00 30.00
Student Health Service Fee 0.00 0.00 0.00
International Student Fee 35.00 70.00 70.00
Clinical and Research Supplies      
SSIMs* Fee 0.00 1537.50 1537.50
Books 200.00 300.00 300.00
Loupes 0.00 0.00 0.00
Personal Computer 0.00 0.00 0.00
Hanau articulator & face bow 0.00 0.00 0.00
Intraoral camera  0.00 0.00 0.00
Travel to professional meetings 0.00 0.00 1000.00
Research, thesis & miscellaneous fees 0.00 0.00 500.00
Health Insurance - basic coverage for student only waived with proof of coverage.  $135/mo., July 1 to June 30 280.00 560.00 840.00
Subtotal $1718.50 $10482.50 $12262.50
Additional Expenses Per Year      
Room & Board 2173.00 4104.50 6277.50
Personal Expense 786.60 1486.00 2272.40
Transportation 311.50 588.50 900.00
Total Expenses $4989.60 $16661.50 $21712.40

*Supply & Sterilization Instrument Management System
**based on 2016-17 fees
*** International Students are required to take the ESL (English as a Second Language) test. Additional fees (~$ 4,000.00) during the first year may apply depending on test results

All figures quoted are subject to increase without notice

Program Completion Rate: Program is typically completed within 36 months.  In the last 10 years we had 95% of the students complete the Certificate and MS program within the two years.  The remaining 5% completed the program within the following semester.

Placement Rate for Students Completing the Certificate & MS Program: Placement rate is 100%