Welcome to the Department of Family Dentistry!
The Department of Family Dentistry is a humanistic environment, characterized by respect, tolerance, understanding, and concern for all patients, students, staff, and faculty. The primary mission of the Department of Family Dentistry is to reinforce and refine the comprehensive approach for managing the oral health care needs of patients. The Senior year integrates the basic science knowledge, clinical skills, and dental laboratory experiences acquired during the first three years of dental school into a systematic approach to providing care.
Students completing their education in Family Dentistry are expected to:
- conduct themselves in a professional and ethical manner;
- understand the principles of comprehensive treatment planning;
- know the medical, ethical, and legal issues involved in patient care;
- be able to recognize the need for specialty consultation;
- be competent in coordinating and sequencing patient treatments;
- be an effective member of the dental team;
- be prepared to enter General Practice;
- be educated and trained for licensure examination;
- appreciate the importance and value of lifelong learning;
Our faculty and staff will demonstrate these qualities in their daily interpersonal interaction with colleagues, patients and students.