Dr. Sousa Melo graduated in 2006 and obtained his M.S.D. in oral and maxillofacial radiology in 2010 from the Federal University of Santa Catarina. In 2013, he finished his Ph.D. in dental radiology from the University of Campinas (Brazil). From 2011-2012, he did post-doctoral training under the supervision of Dr. Allan Farman at the University of Louisville (KY) working with cone beam CT and software accuracy. He returned to Brazil where he taught oral radiology at the Tiradentes University and worked as a radiologist at a private imaging center. He joined the University of Iowa College of Dentistry & Dental Clinics in 2016 after completing his residency and second M.S. at the University of Iowa. Dr. Sousa Melo serves on the clerkship directors committee at the College of Dentistry and on several national committees at the American Academy Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology (AAOMR). His research interests include indications and limitations of cone beam CT and diagnosis of temporomandibular joint disorders. He has more than 30 papers published in peer-reviewed articles.
Dr. Sousa Melo teaches Oral Radiology for undergraduate dental students and graduate programs.
His research interests include indications and limitations of cone beam CT and diagnosis of temporomandibular joint disorders.
- Sousa Melo SL, Vasconcelos KF, Holton N, Allareddy V, Allareddy V, Tabchoury CPM, Haiter-Neto F, Ruprecht A. The impact of CBCT scan mode on the diagnostic yield of chemically simulated external root resorption. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 2017;151:1073-82.
- Pinto MGO, Rabelo KA, Sousa Melo SL, Campos PS, Oliveira L, Bento PM, Melo D. Influence of different exposure parameters on root fracture detection using different filling materials. International Endodontic Journal 2017;50:586-94.
- Rabelo KA, Sousa Melo SL, Torres MGG, Campos PSF, Bento PM, Oliveira LSAF, Melo DP. Condyle excursion angle, articular eminence inclination and TMJ morphology relationships with disc displacement. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2017;75:938.e1-10.
- de Rezende Barbosa GL, Sousa Melo SL, Alencar PNB, Nascimento MCC, Almeida SM. Performance of an artifact reduction algorithm in the diagnosis of in-vitro vertical root fracture in four different root filling situations. International Endodontic Journal 2016;49:500-8.
- Lanzel E, Pourian A, Sousa Melo SL, Brogden K, Hellstein J. Expression of membrane-bound mucins and p63 in distinguishing mucoepidermoid carcinoma from papillary cystadenoma. Head and Neck Pathology 2016;10:521-526.
- Melo DP, Sousa Melo SL, Oliveira LSAF, Ramos-Perez FM, Campos PSF. Evaluation of temporomandibular joint disk displacement and its correlation with pain and osseous abnormalities in symptomatic young patients by MRI. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology 2015;119:107-12.
- Farias JFG, Melo SLS, Bento PM, Oliveira LSAF, Campos PSF, Melo DP. Correlation between temporomandibular joint morphology and disk displacement by MRI. Dentomaxillofacial Radiology 2015;44:20150023.
- Oenning ACC, Sousa Melo SL, Groppo FC, Haiter-Neto F. The mesial inclination of impacted third molars and its propensity to stimulate external root resorption in second molars - a cone beam CT evaluation. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2015;73:379-86.
- Melo SLS, Haiter Neto F, Correa LR, Scarfe WC, Farman AG. Comparative diagnostic yield of CBCT reconstruction using various software programs on the detection of vertical root fractures. Dentomaxillofacial Radiology 2013;42:20120459.
- Melo SLS, Bortoluzzi EA, Abreu Jr. M, Correa LR, Correa M. Diagnostic ability of a cone-beam computed tomography scan to assess longitudinal root fractures in prosthetically treated teeth. Journal of Endodontics 2010;36:1879-82.
Click here to perform an automatic PubMed search of Dr. Sousa Melo's publications.
Dr. Sousa Melo is a member of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, the American Dental Education Association, the American Society of Head and Neck Radiology, Radiology Society of North America, and European Academy of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology. He is a very active reviewer for a number of scientific journals, including OOOO (Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology Oral Radiology), Clinical Anatomy, Journal of the Brazillian Dental Education Association, and Brazilian Dental Journal.