Dr. Campos graduated in 2001 and obtained her M.S. in biological sciences in 2004 from the University of Vale do Paraiba. In 2008, she finished her Ph.D. in oral pathology from the University of Sao Paulo (Brazil). From 2008-2009, she did post-doctoral training in Dr. Jacques Nor's laboratory at the University of Michigan, working with tumor angiogenesis and cancer stem cells. She returned to Brazil where she taught oral pathology and medicine at the University of Taubate and the University of Vale do Paraiba and for eight years also kept her private practice as a general dentist and oral pathologist. In 2016, she began working as an adjunct clinical assistant professor at the University of Michigan, supervising undergraduate students in clinical and pre-clinical activities.
Her research interests include oral cancer and pulp biology, focusing on tumor angiogenesis, signaling pathways, cancer stem cells, and regenerative dentistry. She joined the University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Department of Oral Pathology, Radiology and Medicine in 2017.
Dr. Campos teaches in the Oral Diagnosis Clinic.
1. Neiva KG, Warner KA, Campos MS, Zhang Z, Moren J, Danciu TE, Nör JE. Endothelial cell-derived interleukin-6 regulates tumor growth. BMC Cancer 2014;14(1):99.
2. Campos MS, Neiva KG, Warner KA, Krishnamurthy S, Nör JE. Endothelial derived factors inhibit anoikis of head and neck cancer stem cells. Oral Oncol 2012;48:26-32.
3. Carvalho ES, Costa FTS, Campos MS, Ambinder AL, Neves ACC, Lage-Marques JLS, Raldi DP. Root surface treatment using diode laser in delayed tooth replantation: radiographic and histomorphometric analyses in rats. Dent Traumatol 2012;28:429-36.
4. Campos MS, Fontes A, Marocchio LS, Nunes FD, de Sousa SCOM. Clinicopathological features and immunohistochemical markers in neurofibroma of the oral cavity. Acta Odontol Scand 2012;70:577-82.
5. Zeitlin BD, Spalding AC, Campos MS, Ashimori N, Dong Z, Wang S, Lawrence TS, Nör JE. Metronomic small molecule inhibitor of Bcl-2 (TW-37) is anti-angiogenic and potentiates the anti-tumor effect of ionizing radiation in oral squamous cell carcinoma xenografts. Int J Radiat Oncol 2010;78:879-87.
6. Campos MS, Rodini CO, Pinto-Jr DS, Nunes FD. GAPD and tubulin are suitable internal controls for qPCR analysis of oral squamous cell carcinoma cell lines. Oral Oncol 2009;45:121-6.
7. Campos MS, Marchini L, Bernardes LAS, Paulino LC, Nóbrega FG. Biofilm microbial communities of denture stomatitis. Oral Microbiol Immunol 2008;23:419-24.
Click here to perform an automatic PubMed search of Dr. Campos's publications.
Dr. Campos has been involved with the International Association for Dental Research (IADR) since 2007 and is a very active reviewer for a number of scientific journals, including Journal of Dental Research; Head and Neck; Journal of Periodontology; Histochemistry and Cell Biology; PLoS One; and others.