Summer Fellowship: Endodontics
The 2018 Summer Fellowship application cycle is officially open and will be closed again as of June 1, 2018.
The Summer Fellowship Program, if accepted, is free to all attendees. We just ask the following:
- *You must be between your 3rd and 4th year of Dental School
- *You must be able to attend all days, up to 5 days, from 8am to 5 pm, unless approved by the Director, Dr. Cavalcanti, to miss time during this Summer Fellowship
- *You will need to make your own travel arrangements to get to and from our Dental Science Building
- *You will need to provide your own lunch (there is a cafeteria in the building if you elect to eat something from here)
- *You will need to obtain your own lodging (we can give you suggestions/ideas if you inquire)
You do not need to attend this Summer Fellowship to apply for our Endodontic Certificate Program.
2018 Summer Fellowship will run from 8am until 5pm on the following 4 days:
- Monday, July 2nd
- Tuesday, July 3rd
- Thursday, July 5th
- Friday, July 6th
Endodontic Dental Externship Program for dental students.
The purpose of this externship program is to increase the student’s knowledge of the scope of Endodontic treatment. During this one week externship, the student will be exposed to the specialty of Endodontics at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The experience will involve treatment of patients with emphasis on Endodontic needs requiring treatment and completion while the undergraduate clinic enters a six week break.
Activities may include:
- Direct patient care (limited to Iowa students)
- Participate in Endodontic Graduate Program education seminars
- Endodontic Journal Club
- Observe and Assist Endodontic Residents in complex and surgical cases
- Treat an advanced endodontic case with one-on-one resident observation
- Visit Endodontic Private Practice(s) - Group and/or Individual
This program is available to dental students who have successfully completed the third year of the dental curriculum and will be limited to 3-7 students. An application can be obtained here Summer Fellowship Application from Dr. Cavalcanti or Gina Pottorff, or you may come to room W-343 in the Dental Science Building and ask for a copy of the application.
The application requires the following:
- Mailing Address
- Email address
- Phone Number(s)
- Emergency Contact - name, relation & their phone number(s)
- Class Standing
- Dental Transcripts
- Letter of Intent (minimum of one half page)
- 2 Letters of recommendation from College of Dentistry Faculty Members
-The letters may be sent via email or mail to:
-Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
-Mail: Department of Endodontics W343
801 Newton Road
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
We regret that we can only accommodate a limited number of students. Should more than 3-7 equally qualified applicants exist; the positions will be filled by department selection.
Please be advised that although this experience would be valuable to anyone interested in making the decision to pursue advanced education in Endodontics, it is certainly not required for application to the graduate program at Iowa, and will not guarantee automatic acceptance to the program.
Highlights from the 2017 Summer Fellowship:
- *The Summer Fellowship participants and Dr. Gomez went to visit Drs. Liu, Morio, Vos and Wicker's private practice in Cedar Rapids.
- *Each day in the morning, they had 2 seminars, except the day they went to the private practice.
- *In the afternoon they were in the Endodontic Clinic seeing patients or shadowing.
- *The Summer Fellowship participants had over 20 different appointments with patients during those 4 afternoons.