Dr. Cavalcanti graduated from the Sao Paulo State University in Brazil in 1998 and obtained his PhD in endodontics from the University of Sao Paulo in 2004. For years, he maintained his private practice and taught part time in different dental schools in Brazil. In 2008 and 2009, he served as a post-doctoral fellow in Dr. Jacques Nor's laboratory at the University of Michigan, in the field of regenerative dentistry. After his return to Brazil, Dr. Cavalcanti became a full-time faculty in endodontics at the Sao Paulo State University. In 2014, he was recruited by the University of Michigan to start a new phase of his career.
His research interests are in pulp biology, more specifically related to the biocompatibility of materials, material development and various aspects on regenerative dentistry, for which he built a history of extramural funding and published a number of papers.
Dr. Cavalcanti joined the UI College of Dentistry in December 2016.
Dr. Cavalcanti is the junior endodontic Clerkship Director and teaches in the sophomore Endodontics course and in the senior Family Dentistry curriculum.
Dr. Cavalcanti participates in the intramural dental practice in the Department of Endodontics.
Recent publications (last 3 years) -- Cavalcanti BN and Cavalcanti Bd:
1) Araujo LB, Cosme-Silva L, Fernandes AP, Oliveira, TM, Cavalcanti Bd, Comes Filho JE, Sakai VT. Effects of mineral trioxide aggregate, Biodentine and calcium hydroxide on viability, proliferation, migration and differentiation of stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth. J Appl Oral Sci. 2018. Accepted for publication.
2) Vasconcelos RA, Camargo CHR, Cavalcanti BN, Manhães-Jr LRC, Gonçalves SHF. Adaptation of gutta percha to oval canals: a cone beam computed tomographic analysis. Gen Dent. 2017 May-Jun;65(3):e13-e17.
3) Rodrigues BV, Leite NC, Cavalcanti Bd, da Silva NS, Marciano FR, Corat EJ, Webster TJ, Lobo AO. Graphene oxide/multi-walled carbon nanotubes as nanofeatured scaffolds for the assisted deposition of nanohydroxyapatite: characterization and biological evaluation. Int J Nanomedicine. 2016 Jun 13;11:2569-85.
4) Barcellos DC, Fonseca BM, Pucci CR, Cavalcanti Bd, Persici Ede S, Gonçalves SE. Zn-doped etch-and-rinse model dentin adhesives: Dentin bond integrity, biocompatibility, and properties. Dent Mater. 2016 Jul;32(7):940-50.
5) Silva GO, Cavalcanti Bd, Oliveira TR, Bin CV, Camargo SE, Camargo CH. Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of natural resin-based experimental endodontic sealers. Clin Oral Investig. 2016 May;20(4):815-9.
6) Gonçalves SH, de Vasconcelos RA, Cavalcanti Bd, Camargo CH. Persistent infection by Staphylococcus epidermidis in endodontic flare up: a case report. Gen Dent. 2016 Mar-Apr;64(2):e18-21.
7) Siqueira IA, Corat MAF, Cavalcanti Bd, Ribeiro Neto WA, Martin AA, Bretas RE, Marciano FR, Lobo AO. In vitro and in vivo studies of a novel poly (D,L-lactic acid), superhydrophilic carbon nanotubes and nanohydroxyapatite scaffolds for bone regeneration. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2015 May 13;7(18):9385-98.
8) Coelho MF, Cavalcanti Bd, Claro Neves AC, Jóias RP, Rode Sde M. Influence of dental chair backrest inclination on the registration of the mandibular position. J Prosthet Dent. 2015 Nov;114(5):693-5.
9) Camargo CHR, Oliveira TR, Silva GO, Rabelo SB, Valera MC, Cavalcanti Bd. Setting time affects in vitro biological properties of root canal sealers. J Endod. 2014 Apr;40(4):530-3.
Click here to perform an automatic PubMed search of Dr. Cavalcanti's publications.
Dr. Cavalcanti has been involved with the IADR and particularly, the Pulp Biology and Regeneration Group since 2001, actively participating as an abstract reviewer, invited speaker (2013 and 2015) and symposium organizer (2014). Starting 2018, Dr. Cavalcanti has become a member of the AADR Constitution Committee and the IADR Awards Review Committee. He is also very active as a manuscript reviewer for a number of journals, including Journal of Dental Research, Journal of Endodontics (member of the Scientific Advisory Board), Dental Materials, International Endodontic Journal, Regenerative Medicine, and others. He also served as a secretary for the Latin-American Federation of the IADR in 2007 and 2008.