(Last updated: December 7, 2015)
Vanish (3M ESPE) - stocked
- Description: 1mL contains 50mg sodium fluoride, equivalent to 22.6 mg fluorine (22,000 ppm), in an alcohol-based solution of modified rosins. Sweetened with xylitol.
- Instructions for use: On ‘toothbrush’ clean, relatively dry teeth apply thoroughly mixed varnish with supplied brush. Patient should leave varnish in contact with teeth for a minimum of four hours by avoiding, hard food, tooth brushing and products containing alcohol.
- Directions for use: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/640385O/vanish-white-varnish-with-tcp-ifu.pdf?&fn=vanish_ifu_us.pdf
Cervitec Plus (Ivoclar Vivadent) clinic approved, available in OPER
- Description: 1% chlorhexidine:1% thymol in ethanol (90%) and co-polymers (85) used for primarily for root caries prevention in adults.
- Instructions for use: On clean, dry teeth apply thin coat of varnish with applicator or brush, use floss to apply in proximal areas, remove cotton after 30 seconds, ask patient to not rinse their mouth and not to eat or drink for 1 hour.
- Directions for use: http://www.ivoclarvivadent.com/en/competences/composites/professional-care/cervitec-plus
UltraSeal XT® plus (Ultradent) - stocked
Manufacturer’s Description: UltraSeal XT plus is a light-cured, radiopaque, fluoride-releasing composite sealant. 58% filled resin. The spiral brush action of the tip causes shear thinning of the filled, thixotropic UltraSeal XT plus, reducing its viscosity as it is placed. The resin firms when shear thinning ceases and placement is complete, preventing it from running before it can be light cured.
Instructions for use (adapted from Pedo Dept Protocol):
- The teeth to be sealed must be fully erupted, clean, and free of plaque or food debris. Use either a dry prophy brush alone or with some fluoride free pumice. Rinse the tooth and confirm it is not carious
- INSTRUCTOR CHECK.
- Isolate the tooth and etch for 15-30 seconds. Rinse, re-isolate if necessary and dry. The tooth must be totally dry with a frosty appearance. If it is wet at all, the sealant will not be retained. Poorly placed sealants are worse than no sealants at all.
- Apply sealant using supplied Inspiral Brush tip from Ultradent. The sealant must not be so thick that it results in intolerable occlusion, but it must cover all fissures. Make sure there are no air bubbles.
- Light cure all surfaces for at least 20 seconds.
- Check with an explorer. If your sealant pops off with an explorer check, it was doomed to fail. If is better to discover it now and redo it immediately.