Operative Dentistry - Best Practices
Dentin and Enamel Bonding
(last modified August 5, 2014)
Current evidence-based recommendation for direct restoration placement = etch-and-rinse 3-step adhesives
- Know and understand adhesive usage instructions
- Etchant, primer and adhesive coverage must be placed beyond final intended margin of resin-based composite restoration
- Etch enamel 20-30 seconds
- Etch dentin < 15 seconds
- Moist etched dentin for primer application best obtained by sponge/cotton pellet drying. Do not desiccate etched dentin before primer application.
- Prolong primer application on dentin using gentle agitation with microbrush.
- Thoroughly but gently dry primer to remove all solvents and water.
- Thin the adhesive resin with brush or microbrush. Do not air-thin adhesive.
- Adequately light cure adhesive before resin-based composite placement (18 J)