Dr. Qian working with Dr. Brogden
The Biostatistics Unit provides statistical support to the College of Dentistry. Activities include assistance with study design, planning of data management procedures and data base structure, assistance with grant proposal preparation, conduct of statistical analysis, and preparation of abstracts and manuscripts. The Unit is headed by Deborah V. Dawson, Ph.D., Sc.M., who has over thirty years' experience with analysis of biomedical data, including both clinical and basic science research, and is responsible for coordination and oversight of Unit activities. She is assisted by Fang Qian, Ph.D., who has expertise in economic and large data base analysis, and bears primary responsibility for providing statistical assistance to predoctoral and graduate students involved in research. Both Dr. Dawson and Dr. Qian are located in the Institute for Dental Research and hold academic appointments in the Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry.
- Primary researcher: Deborah Dawson
- Statistical evaluation of clinical, basic science, and epidemiologic research data; statistical genetic modeling of human disorders, particularly dental disorders, developmental disorders, and immune and inflammatory disorders; meta-analysis.
- Primary researcher: Fang Qian
- Categorical data analysis, survival analysis, time series analysis, longitudinal data analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, sample size and power analysis.
- Staff Biostatistician: Derek Blanchette
- Management of large databases, data quality, relational database design and operations, and survey design and analysis, as well as nonparametric statistics, statistical computing, and experimental design.