John W. Hellstein, DDS, MS
Clinical Professor, Department of Oral Pathology, Radiology & Medicine
- Surgical Oral Pathology Laboratory; bisphosphonate (Bis-phossy jaw) osteonecrosis of the jaw.
- DDS, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 1982
- Certificate, General Practice Residency, US Army Medical Department, Fort Riley, Kansas, 1983
- MS, Stomatology, University of Iowa, 1991
- Certificate, Oral Pathology, University of Iowa, 1991
To Make an Appointment:
- Call 319-335-7346
Brief Professional Resume:
After serving 20 years in the US Army, Dr. Hellstein joined the Department of Oral Pathology, Radiology and Medicine at the College of Dentistry in 2002.
He is director of the Surgical Oral Pathology Laboratory and has a special interest in bisphosphonate (Bis-phossy jaw)
osteonecrosis of the jaw.
National or International Professional Appointments and Activities
: Dr. Hellstein is a member of the American Dental Association,
the American Dental Education Association, and he is a fellow of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. He is also a diplomate
of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and sits as a
director of that board. Dr. Hellstein is director of education of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial
Pathology and he sits on that organization's executive council. He is also
chair of the American Dental Association's Council of Scientific Affairs.