Health Policy & Outcomes Research
Public health issues include researching the utilization of dental services by low income children, oral disease in the elderly, geriatric dental care services, the effects of various developmental disabilities and medical illnesses on oral health, and conducting longitudinal studies, which demonstrate the effects of nutritive and non-nutritive sucking and feeding devices on oral facial growth and development.
- Primary researcher: Dr. Veerasathpurush Allareddy
- Dr. Allareddy's research interests include infant orthopedic outcomes evaluation, early versus late alveolar bone grafting outcomes, quality of care, access to care, and health services research and policy.
- Primary researcher: Dr. Peter Damiano
- Dr. Damiano is a health services researcher whose research focuses on access to primary dental and medical care, especially regarding maternal and child health issues; quality of care; public and private health insurance programs; and health policy. Current externally financed projects include: 1) an NIH-funded study of the early childhood dental issues; 2) a Commonwealth Fund-supported project evaluating the impact of the 2010 Health Care Reform Law on safety net providers in Iowa; 3) an evaluation of the Iowa Medicaid managed care program (MediPASS); 4) an evaluation of the IowaCare program; 5) a statewide study of the health and wellbeing of children and families in Iowa; and 6) outcomes of care for children with cleft lip and palate.
- Primary researcher: Dr. Susan McKernan
- Dr. McKernan conducts health services research that examines disparities in access to dental care, with an interest in geographical determinants of access and dental workforce availability. Current externally financed projects include: 1) an evaluation of Iowa’s Dental Wellness Plan; 2) an evaluation of the state’s oral health workforce; and 3) a statewide study of geographic barriers to dental care for low income children.