Health Policy & Outcomes Research
Public health issues include researching the utilization of dental services by low income children, oral disease in the elderly, geriatric dental care services, the effects of various developmental disabilities and medical illnesses on oral health, and conducting longitudinal studies, which demonstrate the effects of nutritive and non-nutritive sucking and feeding devices on oral facial growth and development.
- Primary researcher: Dr. Veerasathpurush Allareddy
- Dr. Allareddy's research interests include infant orthopedic outcomes evaluation, early versus late alveolar bone grafting outcomes, quality of care, access to care, and health services research and policy.
- Primary researcher: Dr. Peter Damiano
- Dr. Damiano is a health services researcher whose research focuses on access to primary dental and medical care, especially regarding maternal and child health issues; quality of care; public and private health insurance programs; and health policy. Current externally financed projects include: 1) an NIH-funded study of the early childhood dental issues; 2) a Commonwealth Fund-supported project evaluating the impact of the 2010 Health Care Reform Law on safety net providers in Iowa; 3) an evaluation of the Iowa Medicaid managed care program (MediPASS); 4) an evaluation of the IowaCare program; 5) a statewide study of the health and wellbeing of children and families in Iowa; and 6) outcomes of care for children with cleft lip and palate.
- Primary researcher: Dr. Raymond Kuthy
- Dr. Kuthy’s research broadly addresses improving dental care access and reducing health disparities for dental access. Current externally financed projects include: 1) monitoring and surveillance of Iowa’s oral health workforce; 2) a study on the development of dental service areas to assess geographic barriers to dental care; 3) an evaluation of the Iowa Dental Wellness Plan (Iowa’s adult Medicaid expansion program); and 4) a study on the impact of indebtedness on dental student career decision-making and practice location.
- Primary researcher: Dr. Susan McKernan
- Dr. McKernan conducts health services research that examines disparities in access to dental care, with an interest in geographical determinants of access and dental workforce availability. Current externally financed projects include: 1) an evaluation of Iowa’s Dental Wellness Plan; 2) an evaluation of the state’s oral health workforce; and 3) a statewide study of geographic barriers to dental care for low income children.
- Primary researcher: Dr. Elizabeth Momany
- Dr. Momany conducts research examining the outcomes of health programs and state-level dental innovations such as Iowa's I-Smile program emphasizing model development to explain health care utilization. She directs and manages the Medicaid data repository providing data for research such as finding the predictors of ED use for dental-related problems and surveys on the value of dental care. Externally financed projects include 1) an evaluation of the Integrated Health Home investigating changes in primary care use as people are moved into an integrated system or behavioral/emotional and medical care; 2) a family planning evaluation determining how family planning services affect Medicaid costs; and 3) an evaluation of the Iowa Health and Wellness Plan emphasizing the effects of expanded coverage on the dental utilization.
- Primary researcher: Dr. Julie Reynolds
- Dr. Reynolds’ research broadly involves vulnerable populations’ access to dental services. She is involved in the following externally financed projects: 1) an evaluation of the Iowa Dental Wellness Plan, a dental insurance program for the Medicaid expansion population; 2) a HRSA-funded study of Iowa’s dental workforce; and 3) a project evaluating Iowa’s dental safety net and opportunities for delivery system change.