Child and Elder Mandatory Reporting Course
This courses qualifies the enrollee for 2 CE credit hours and the cost is $75.
To register: https://web-apps.dentistry.uiowa.edu/ceregistration/
Child & Dependent Adult Abuse & Neglect and Elder Mistreatment have increasingly been recognized as serious and complex health issues. Dental practitioners and staff are required mandatory reporters and are required by law to receive approved continuing education every 5 years. This web-based course reviews the types, prevalence, risk factors, signs and symptoms, preventive interventions, reporting and ethical considerations of child and adult dependent abuse and neglect. As well, this course is approved by the Abuse Education Review Panel and meets the educational requirement for mandatory reporters.
Objectives: At the completion of the program, participants should be able to:
- Understand their legal responsibilities and liabilities as mandatory reporters of child and dependent adult abuse and neglect in the State of Iowa
- Identify children and dependent adults who are at risk for abuse and neglect
- Identify families and circumstances that place children and dependent adults at risk for being abused or neglected
- Identify clinical signs and symptoms that are suggestive of abuse or neglect
- Understand the process for making a report of abuse or neglect in Iowa
Completion of this course and quiz qualifies the enrollee for 2 CE Credit Hours. Course issues: 2/2008; Re-issued/re-recorded 3/2013; expires 3/2016.
Instructor: Dr. Howard Cowen, Professor, and Director of Geriatric and Special Needs Program, Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry. Dr. Cowen has no conflicts of interest with any organizations/companies. For questions following the course, please contact Penni Ryan at email@example.com
References for Further Study: Iowa Department of Public Health Website -- www.idph.state.ia.us/bhpl/abuse
Cowen HJ, Cowen PS: Elder mistreatment: dental assessment and intervention. Spec Care Dentist; 2002 Jan-Feb;22(1):23-32 .