Short Implant Study
This study aims to determine the effect of obesity in type II diabetics on bone forming cells in healthy non-obese and obese type II diabetic individuals.
We are recruiting 48 individuals: 24 healthy, non-obese and 24 obese, type II diabetics. Subjects will have two ‘short-implants’ surgically placed and systemically removed and replaced with functional implants over the course of a week.
You may be eligible for this study if you:
- Are missing at least 2 teeth and are interested in dental implants
- Do not have a history of radiation therapy to the head or neck
- Do not currently take steroids, antibiotics, immunosuppressants, bisphosophonates, hormone replacement therapies, statins, or benicar
- Do not have a bleeding disorder
- Are not pregnant or wish to be
- Do not have a history of drug or alcohol abuse
- Are not a current smoker
Subjects who qualify and complete the study will be eligible for compensation for their time. If you are interested in participating, please contact the research coordinator, Rick Barwacz at 319.335.6763 or email@example.com.